|Address:||Falls Road, Marysville|
Steavenson Falls – Marysville
Steavenson Falls are one of the tallest in Victoria, with 5 cascades, a total descent of 122 metres, the last having a clear drop of more than 21 metres. The Steavenson Falls are definitely Marysville’s main claim to tourism fame and have been since European arrival in Marysville. Residents cut a track to the falls in 1866. Since then the natural environs of the Falls and their approach have not altered dramatically.
The falls and the river were named after John Steavenson who first visited the site of what is now Marysville in 1862. He was carrying out a survey of the area to try to find a new alignment for the road to the gold fields at Woods Point. The 190ha Steavenson Falls Scenic Reserve was proclaimed in 1959 to protect the falls and their surroundings.
Steavenson Falls is 350 meters from the car park and is flood lit from dusk until 11.00pm.
The Reserve is jointly administered by the Department of Primary Industry and a Voluntary Committee of Management, who continue to develop and maintain the reserve.
Walks commencing at the falls reserve are – Keppel Walking track – De la Rue lookout, a 1 km walk – Oxlee lookout a 1.5 km walk and Keppel lookout a 4.00 km walk. To the top of the falls return, which is steep takes 40 minutes.
A turbine driven by water drawn from the weir at the base of the falls generates power for the floodlights and the lights along the paths.